Frequently asked questions
For an overview of the Course and Unit Builder (CUB) web application, please visit the CUB home page.
Q1: Is this Course and Unit Builder the same as Akari?
No, Akari supports Curriculum Management, where as the Course and Unit Builder supports Curriculum Design. At a high level:
- Course and Unit designers will be able to collaboratively design courses and units in the Course and Unit application up to the point where they are ready to submit for formal approval.
- The output of the Course and Unit Builder contains the curriculum design components of course and unit records in Akari.
Q2: Is it compulsory to use the Course and Unit Builder application whenever a Unit or Course is being designed or reviewed?
No, however it is highly recommended to use the Course and Unit Builder whenever a Unit or Course is being designed or reviewed.
Q3: Will each school or college have a different version of the Course and Unit Builder built in a way that is tailored to them?
No, the Course and Builder is being developed to design outcomes based curriculum. Significant flexibility is being built to make it appropriate for all schools and colleges.
Q4: What support is available for Course and Unit Builder users?
A core aspect of the application design is a focus on ease of use. Several support channels will also be delivered, including:
- A network of staff trained in the use of the Course and Unit Builder application and its underpinning Curriculum Design principles.
- Video tutorials
- ‘In application’ help and examples
- Familiarisation sessions leading up to releases
Q5: Will micro credentials and short courses be designed in the Course and Unit Builder?
Initial releases of the Course and Unit Builder will be focussed on supporting the design of award units of study. However it is possible subsequent releases will support the design of micro credentials and short courses.
We currently have a paper-based learning design process for repackaging award units as micro-credentials and/or short courses.
Got another question? Log a ticket with the Service Portal, making sure to include "Course and Unit Builder support" in the subject.